Welcome to Japanese Golf Clubs at Golf To Impress
Register now to gain access to all of our features.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to view photos, create topics, post replies to existing threads, write private messages and so much more.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What are the effects of clubs too long

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Alcap26

Alcap26

TSG Master

• Members
  • 1136 posts
Here is my question to all. I have been using for the past 3 four years a set of TM 30 that are 1 inch long and 2 up swing weight at E1. I honestly feel these are too long for me and i feel like I have compensated for it by coming out of the swing a little early. When I am on I am in the sweetspot consistently. When I am off my misses are thin and towards the heel. The reason I present this is because I am trying to keep from getting my hands too low and therefore getting the sweepspot more often and taking a small divot...I am a picker of the ball. The reason i am doubting the clubs is I have another set of TM 300 1/2 inch long in 5-PW (that look brand new and no paintfill...woohoo) and I was hitting the 7 iron with mine and was catching the sweetspot on a more consisten basis with the same distance (shafts in my orig set are s300 sensicore and the newer ones are TFR 6.0). I was stripping mine on the range but the thin shot worked itself in and with the other I was not getting the thin shot as often. 8/10 vs probably 6/10. I know I need to keep my head down until the right shoulder brings it up and am working hard at this but I am wondering if the 1/2 inch are better. Thanks to all for the comments and wish you all a great week. :cool:
Bridgestone J33r 460 Fuji 660tr
14 Sonartec SS02 Fuji Rombax Proto 80b
2 iron King Cobra Forged SS S300
4-PW TM 300 sensicore s300
52 Scratch Joe Kwok grind Gap Wedge
56 Scratch
60 Scratch
Putter: SC PP Laguna 2

Mike

Mike

TSG Fanatic

• Members
  • 3412 posts
Al the extra length could be the big problem . I will use my clubs as an example .
I always played my 5 iron at 38.5" so basically 1/2" long . So figured I would play my Z's at the same length . Bad mistake . 5 iron turned out to be + 3/4" . Hit the ball all over the club face and drove me crazy .

I ended up cutting another 1/4" off the clubs to make the 5 iron play at 38.25" .
I now hit the ball great , I think that it has made my swing tighter and I have way more control .

Maybe you should give it a try with just one club to start with and if it works well for you then do the rest .
R500 with 660TR ( kowk'd )
975 LFF 660TR( non Kwok'd )
13 & `17 smoothy both
with the Tour Release 27.3 X plus tipped ( Kowk'd )
Mizzuno MP-37 2Iron to the PW . TFR's 6.0 in them all
Scratch 52 antique & 57 3x Black haribo grind wedge's
Nippon 1050 .

For now am using a MiL SpEc 34" 340 grams and 2 upright .

AKFLY

AKFLY

TSG Madman

• Members
  • 1647 posts
  • Interests:Family, Fly Fishing, Sitting on the beach
Here is my .02 for what it is worth. You have a set of both - so you have your own mini lab. Get a roll of elcrticians tape and go to the range. After you warm up put a strip of tape on the face - or if you want to waste some money get some impact labels. See wich clubs hit the sweat spot most consistently. Make sure you are setting up properly with a comfortable ball psoition and hand psoition.

I would favor the shorter club for purposes of control and consistency . When Ernie Els went to titleist he changed his shaft length going a 1/4 of an inch shorter. Obviously his set up changed along with it.
9.5 Titleist 905R Diamana Whiteboard 73
15 TM Tour 200 Fuji Speeder 757
18.5 Nickent Fuji FTB 90
23 Adams Idea Pro Aldila VS 80
4-PW TM RAC CB TC Satin
SW Scratch JLM 56 DG S300
LW Scratch M Grind 60 Rifle 6.0
Scotty Newport - Pimped by Geo
Scotty Newport 2 Oil Can

SmashIt

SmashIt

TSG Rookie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Here is my .02 for what it is worth.  You have a set of both - so you have your own mini lab.  Get a roll of elcrticians tape and go to the range.  After you warm up put a strip of tape on the face - or if you want to waste some money get some impact labels.  See wich clubs hit the sweat spot most consistently.  Make sure you are setting up properly with a comfortable ball psoition and hand psoition.

I would favor the shorter club for purposes of control and consistency .  When Ernie Els went to titleist he changed his shaft length going a 1/4 of an inch shorter.  Obviously his set up changed along with it.

I just gotta know...who is the girl?

SmashIt

SmashIt

TSG Rookie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Here is my question to all.  I have been using for the past 3 four years a set of TM 30 that are 1 inch long and 2 up swing weight at E1.  I honestly feel these are too long for me and i feel like I have compensated for it by coming out of the swing a little early.  When I am on I am in the sweetspot consistently.  When I am off my misses are thin and towards the heel.  The reason I present this is because I am trying to keep from getting my hands too low and therefore getting the sweepspot more often and taking a small divot...I am a picker of the ball.  The reason i am doubting the clubs is I have another set of TM 300 1/2 inch long in 5-PW (that look brand new and no paintfill...woohoo) and I was hitting the 7 iron with mine and was catching the sweetspot on a more consisten basis with the same distance (shafts in my orig set are s300 sensicore and the newer ones are TFR 6.0).  I was stripping mine on the range but the thin shot worked itself in and with the other I was not getting the thin shot as often. 8/10 vs probably 6/10.  I know I need to keep my head down until the right shoulder brings it up and am working hard at this but I am wondering if the 1/2 inch are better.  Thanks to all for the comments and wish you all a great week. :cool:

Too long/upright of clubs can cause heel shots and Shanks. Reason you are hitting thin is your body is raising up too much because of the length to create room so you do not hit it fat. Also that E1 swingweight is atrocious. Too short/flat of a club and you will start to have toe hits. Lie angle and length are interconnected so you can adjust one and see where it goes. I would personally adj the length to get the swingweight down but adjusting the lie is an option as well as adjusting both. The above stands given that your swing is fundamentally sound and you are not releasing too early or staying back too much on your downswing, which will also cause thins, as well as a multitude of other things. Do the test thing. It may take some time for you body to adjust to staying down with the shorter clubs. Also you could take your shortest fairway wood or rescue club would be even better and make sure you are maintaining your lag those clubs and not releasing early.
I just adjusted to +1/2 1*up from +3/4 2* up. I suffered FOREVER from heel shots, I can say there has been improvement.

Alcap26

Alcap26

TSG Master

• Members
  • 1136 posts

Here is my question to all.  I have been using for the past 3 four years a set of TM 30 that are 1 inch long and 2 up swing weight at E1.  I honestly feel these are too long for me and i feel like I have compensated for it by coming out of the swing a little early.  When I am on I am in the sweetspot consistently.  When I am off my misses are thin and towards the heel.  The reason I present this is because I am trying to keep from getting my hands too low and therefore getting the sweepspot more often and taking a small divot...I am a picker of the ball.  The reason i am doubting the clubs is I have another set of TM 300 1/2 inch long in 5-PW (that look brand new and no paintfill...woohoo) and I was hitting the 7 iron with mine and was catching the sweetspot on a more consisten basis with the same distance (shafts in my orig set are s300 sensicore and the newer ones are TFR 6.0).  I was stripping mine on the range but the thin shot worked itself in and with the other I was not getting the thin shot as often. 8/10 vs probably 6/10.  I know I need to keep my head down until the right shoulder brings it up and am working hard at this but I am wondering if the 1/2 inch are better.  Thanks to all for the comments and wish you all a great week. :cool:

Too long/upright of clubs can cause heel shots and Shanks. Reason you are hitting thin is your body is raising up too much because of the length to create room so you do not hit it fat. Also that E1 swingweight is atrocious. Too short/flat of a club and you will start to have toe hits. Lie angle and length are interconnected so you can adjust one and see where it goes. I would personally adj the length to get the swingweight down but adjusting the lie is an option as well as adjusting both. The above stands given that your swing is fundamentally sound and you are not releasing too early or staying back too much on your downswing, which will also cause thins, as well as a multitude of other things. Do the test thing. It may take some time for you body to adjust to staying down with the shorter clubs. Also you could take your shortest fairway wood or rescue club would be even better and make sure you are maintaining your lag those clubs and not releasing early.
I just adjusted to +1/2 1*up from +3/4 2* up. I suffered FOREVER from heel shots, I can say there has been improvement.

This makes since and is what I have been saying for years. I am more comfortable with my hands low and I have always felt they were a tad too long or upright. I went to the range again today and I had great results with the 6 and 8 better with the six though. I think I am going to stick with the newer set for a while. As far as releasing early I do not feel I am doing this. I am hitting the best driver and three wood shots in my life. Towards the end when i was getting tired I started hitting some heel shots but I think this was more tired than anything. I wonder if the 2 up in the mid and long irons is fine and maybe 1 up in the short irons? I guess I got tired because yesterday I hit about 200 balls and today about 150...back is a little tight as I type this. The only other problem I am having is my head coming out of the swing early...looking up too soon ala Duval...and I think I was doing this to compensate for the length. It is going to take a while to get this out of my swing. Thanks a bunch for your halp on this matter guys. Feel free to post more thoughts. This is some great info. :smile1:
Bridgestone J33r 460 Fuji 660tr
14 Sonartec SS02 Fuji Rombax Proto 80b
2 iron King Cobra Forged SS S300
4-PW TM 300 sensicore s300
52 Scratch Joe Kwok grind Gap Wedge
56 Scratch
60 Scratch
Putter: SC PP Laguna 2

SmashIt

SmashIt

TSG Rookie

• Members
  • 13 posts
Nothing wrong with having different lies inside your set, it's done more than people think...